To serve individuals who are Deaf, Deaf-Blind, Late–deafened, people with Hearing Loss, and others with respect to all communication modes; by providing support services, advocacy, and education, which foster self-determination, empowerment and independence.
What is GACHI?
Established in 1987, Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired, Inc. is a statewide nonprofit organization that provides a variety of assistive services to the deaf and hard of hearing, their family members, friends, local state and federal agencies. In addition to our main office in Decatur, we operate satellite offices in Columbus, Rome, Augusta, Macon and Savannah. Who are our staff members?
How is GACHI funded?
To fulfill our mission, GACHI relies on a combination of funding sources, including state-appropriated funds (set by the Georgia General Assembly) and generous grants and donations from private foundations, businesses and individuals.
What kind of programs and services does GACHI provide
• Empowerment, including educating others about ADA, encouraging customers to foster self-determination as well as empowerment and independence.
• Information and Referral locating resources and referrals geared toward individuals with hearing loss and speech issues and the people surrounding them.
• Community Education & Outreach educating others primarily through workshops and special event as well as outreaching letting others know about GACHI.
• The Georgia Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program, offering free telecommunication devices to qualified applicants
• Camp Juliena, a weeklong camp for deaf and hard of hearing children and teenagers to build team work and self esteem.
• Community Resources: books, materials and testing ALD equipment as well as use community centers.
• Support GACHI by volunteering talents and time as well as financial contributions.
• Employment Services Upon referral from VR, job readiness training, Personal Social Adjustment Training and job coaching.
Who are the GACHI staff members?
The Georgia Council for the Hearing Impaired, Inc. (GACHI) staff members are a team of hard–working, specially trained professionals dedicated to helping Georgians who are deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened or deaf-blind as well as speech issues by improve their quality of life. Staff members have extensive knowledge hearing loss and communication issues. GACHI also has a board of directors to help guide our organization.
How can I learn more?
For general information about GACHI and details about our programs and services or to find the GACHI office nearest you, call 404-292- 5312 (Voice/TTY) or 1-800-541-0710 (Voice/TTY). Or, visit us at www.gachi.org.
How can I get involved?
GACHI is always looking for dedicated volunteers to assist our organization in various capacities. Contact GACHI, at 404-292-5312 (voice/TTY) or 1-800-541-0710 (voice/TTY). Those who would like to make financial contributions at GACHI can contact us at these numbers as well.